A big hit

< Previous | Next >
Hello everyone,

Does ''a big hit'' meaning "someone or something that is very successful at a certain time" sound natural/correct in the examples I made below?

a. Michael? He's a big hit. Don't you watch TV? He's one of the best singers at the moment.
b. I know this song is a big hit now, but I find it rather annoying. I prefer more mellow songs.

Thank you

• lingobingo

English - England
    b. is quite a good example.
    a. is not so good.

When describing a person as "a big hit" in the sense of having made a successful stage or TV performance, you'd normally specify the show, e.g. She was a big hit on The X Factor / He was a big hit in The Lion King.

It's also used to mean that someone made a very favourable impression on someone else, e.g. "That boy who came to the party was a big hit with my daughter."

Thank you.

Maybe it's because of "now" and "at the moment", because I saw on Google (examples made by native speakers).

He's a big hit in Europe and Asia but they don't know that. ('American Idol' Finale: Adam Lambert and Angie Miller to Duet)
    He's a big hit in Dublin where he packed out the Olympia Theatre. (Wee Nathan delights at the Marquee)
    He's a big hit in New York and possibly the first male star of a Broadway musical. (Social Diary 4/13/04 - Joel Grey's 72nd birthday, Larisa Bond's Birthday Bash)

Still unsure...

Packard

USA, English
    Movies are often referred to as a "big hit" (except when it is a "flop").

Even products can be a big hit.

Apple's IPad holds 40% of the tablet business and is a big hit with consumers.

ewie

English English
    I don't think I'd ever say a hit + at the moment / now ... something to do with the nature of hits and the nature of time ... can't put my finger on the reason:confused:

Packard

USA, English
    I don't think I'd ever say a hit + at the moment / now ... something to do with the nature of hits and the nature of time ... can't put my finger on the reason:confused:
    Bell bottoms?

Bell bottoms were a hit at that time, but if you have any photos of yourself from back then people are likely to say, "You wore bell bottoms? Really? So ugly."

Navel piercings are a hit now, but will they look silly 20 years from now?

< Previous | Next >