a big part percentage wise of the total cost of repair.

Below is a short paragraph extracted from a webpage of a vacumm pump company-Hyvac.

Sometimes it is beneficial to have us strip the return down and check everything and replace any worn components because the pump is already at our location. This makes sense because freight can be a big part percentage wise of the total cost of repair.

Wise:
1. What's its part of speech? Adj.? Or Noun?
2. What does it mean right here?

Thank you.

• losilmer

Your sentence is: "This makes sense because freight can be a big part percentage wise of the total cost of repair."

I think that this "wise" should be part of the preceding word, i.e., "percentage", and so the compound word would be "percentage-wise".
    Like in the case of "lengthwise, clockwise, money-wise, publicity-wise, etc.

-wise is a suffix that means "as regards, in terms of, in the sense of".

The meaning of your sentence could be that the freight would be a big part of the total cost, speaking in percentages, for example, it could be a 60% or a 70% of the 100% cost.

In this case "-wise" is neither an adjective or a noun, since it forms part of a name as a suffix. It derives from an ancient word with the very same form, that is, "the wise" meaning a manner or way of doing things, a habit or fashion. By the way, the word "ways" (of doing things) is its relative.

This is my opinion.

Last edited:

JJohnson

Texan English
    The word should be percentagewise, but that word is incorrect. You hear it in spoken English when the speaker is forming his thoughts as he speaks. In written English you could make the thought more clear.
    How about:
    This makes sense because freight can be a large percentage of the total cost of repair.

This makes sense because freight can be a large percentage of the total repair cost.

This makes sense because freight can be a large partof the total cost of repair.

losilmer

This makes sense because freight can be a big part percentage-wise of the total cost of repair.

Another way of saying it could possibly be:

"This makes sense because freight can be a big part of the total cost of repair, expressed (stated, written, represented) in percentages."

< Previous | Next >