a big plan to kill a wolf

erroranalysis

German
I'm a teacher and my students made up a story about ancient Egypt. One of my students wrote:

[.. .] they went inside of the house. There were a lot of pictures and treasures [...]. Ramses opened a door and there was a big plan to kill a big wolf. Ramses said, "Read the plan [...] ."

I somehow do not like the highlighted phrase. I don't think plan should be used in this context. Or would you accept it? My suggestion is:

...there was a big book on how to kill a big wolf. Ramses said, "Read the book... ."

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I think you need to ask your student what he or she had in mind. "Plan" seems odd, but I doubt that "book" would be technically accurate if you're talking about ancient Egypt.

Myridon

English - US
    I would guess that the "plan" is in hieroglyphs written on the walls. "Big" because it covers an entire wall. :)

erroranalysis

German
    At least we all agree that it is not clear. Thanks!

They may not have had books in ancient Egypt, but he and his classmates are quite young and there's no need to require such knowledge from them. But people had papyrus back then. Maybe it would be best to say:

...there was a big piece of papyrus with lots of hieroglyphics. It informed you about how to kill a big wolf. Ramses said, "Read it!"

< Previous | Next >