a <bigger><greater> swinger/spinner of the ball [Cricket]

hectacon

Hindi
which verb should be used with spin/swing.

Shane Warne was a big spinner of the ball. James Anderson is big swinger of the ball.

Anil Kumble by fluke spun the ball bigger/greater than shane warne on that occasion.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Spinner" is a noun. "Swinger" is a noun. A "spinner" (noun) is "a person that spins something". In this case they are spinning the ball, while they throw it.

While it is technically correct to transform "Shane spins the ball" into "Shane is a spinner of the ball", it is not common. I have never heard the expressions "spinner of the ball" and "swinger of the bat".

Note that a player is a "swinger of the bat", not a "swinger of the ball". You swing the bat, attempting to hit the ball.

Common: Shane puts spin on the ball. Shane puts more spin on the ball than Sam does. Shane puts heavier spin on the ball than Sam does.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    "Anil Kumble spun the ball more than Shane Warne ..."
    :thumbsup:

(In cricket, one of the balls (= pitches in baseball equivalent) is called a X-swinger where X is in or out with reference to the batsman.)
    Types of bowlers in cricket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There are indeed swing bowlers and spin bowlers but whether one can describe one as "a big spinner/swinger of the ball" is now beyond my familiarity with the jargon of the game as she is currently played:) - it doesn't sound quite right to me but someone (still) in that field can help...

Barque

Tamil
    Note that a player is a "swinger of the bat", not a "swinger of the ball".
    A cricket ball can be and is often made to swing in the air. There are cricketers who are described as "big swingers of the ball" in cricket commentary/writing.

In this case they are spinning the ball, while they throw it.
    As an aside, throwing is illegal. The ball is "bowled", without the arm being bent and then straightened as in a throw.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >