a bird, a very bird!

Couch Tomato

Russian & Dutch
I remember walking along an animated street on a gray spring afternoon somewhere near the Madeleine. A short slim girl passed me at a rapid, high-heeled, tripping step, we glanced back at the same moment, she stopped and I accosted her. She came hardly up to my chest hair and had the kind of dimpled round little face French girls so often have, and I liked her long lashes and tight-fitting tailored dress sheathing in pearl-gray her young body which still retainedand that was the nymphic echo, the chill of delight, the leap in my loins a childish something mingling with the professional frétillement of her small agile rump. I asked her price, and she promptly replied with melodious silvery precision (a bird, a very bird!) “Cent.
(Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov)

What does the narrator, Humbert, mean by 'a bird, a very bird!'? In British English a bird means a young woman, but I'm not sure if that's the intended meaning here. Or is he saying that the melodious silvery precision which with she replied resembled that of a bird?

What do you think?

Thank you in advance.

• < Previous | Next >