a bird on a wire

< Previous | Next >
  • Gaudihaz

Hungary, Hungarian
    Hi Ewie,
    I got this in the meantime from Lori, which explains everything. Is it a new expression?
    Blessings,
    I think I have found out the answer. It has to do with the limited freedom of a bird whose leg is tied to something with a string yet able to fly short distances. The question the professor asked was, “Analyze how the expression “a bird on a wire” applies to the issue of inclusion of exceptional students in a general classroom setting.”
    Thank you so much for your help…I hope I didn’t take up too much of your time.
    Lori

ewie

English English
    It's one I don't know, and I'm sure there's another expression for the same concept (using a different animal), though I can't think of it right now

Trisia

Romanian
    Do the lyrics from Cohen's song help?

Like a bird on the wire,
    like a drunk in a midnight choir
    I have tried in my way to be free.

Like a worm on a hook,
    [...] See rest here and here (different, live version :D)
    EDIT: Mild? This is wrist-slitting material :p

TheAmzngTwinWndr

United States
    When I read the title of this post the first thing I thought of was a bird sitting on a telephone wire/power line (as they often do) and not of a bird tied to a wire.

In this sense, in conjunction with the lyrics of the song supplied by Trisia, it might mean to have freedom in that only birds can fly up the wire to sit on it.

dontana

english
    Hey Gaudihaz, and all!!
    Just my 2 cents on this subject....Many years ago my gran dad had made mention of a phrase we had heard. a Rolling Stones tune called,"Hang Fire-Bird on a wire". He told about me about the days of launching mortars and tow missiles that where connected to wire! The men used to joke about it and came up with the phrase, "hey it's like the stones say, Hang Fire, bird on a wire baby! lol. I thought it was genius! The men had actually thought that this song was created for them! Now we come to find out that the Rolling Stones version of this phrase means...to do nothing all day. Then they throw into the mix a dual meaning, hang fire bird on a wire. And later on when my cover band covered this particular Stones song we used to reference this to the audience every time!
    I also see that EWIE posted a response on my birthday 10 years ago!!!

Myridon

English - US
    I hate to break it to you, but there's no "bird" in the Rolling Stones lyric. It's "Hang fire, put it on the wire, baby."

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The question the professor asked was, “Analyze how the expression “a bird on a wire” applies to the issue of inclusion of exceptional students in a general classroom setting.”
    Is this a joke?

I am reminded of Rowan Atkinson, the actor, writer and comedian, and his imitation of an school teacher: "Discuss the contention that Cleopatra has the body of a roll-top desk and the mind of a duck".

Without knowing the context of "bird on a wire", or at least the origins, the meaning is obscure.

I am with Trista at #5 - Leonard Cohen's song is the only reference I can think of. Even that does not help a lot - it has hints of isolation but more than that is speculation.

Last edited:

dontana

english
    Yes put it on the wire...go tell it on the mountain, that troops changed the lyrics to have some fun with the song. chill out folks, i mean, hang fire..

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Yes put it on the wire...go tell it on the mountain, that troops changed the lyrics to have some fun with the song. chill out folks, i mean, hang fire..
    Could you explain in other words? Which "troops"?

< Previous | Next >