a bird's eye view of the city

supermarioutd

Persian
Hello to all,

I remember I heard bird's eye view in a TV show some time ago. Now I want talk about a very tall building and the view it offers. Does this work and is it natural?

The best part of the building is its observation deck. It offers a bird's eye view of the city.

Is it something they say just in advertisements or is it used in a more routine conversation?

• kentix

English - U.S.
    Although it is idiomatic I wouldn't necessarily expect it in casual conversation. I think it would be more likely in writing - which could be advertising or travel writing, for instance.

The quoted sentence sounds like travel writing to me. The green parts are the parts that don't sound like routine conversation to me.

The best part of the building is its observation deck. It offers a bird's eye view of the city.

A conversational version:

The observation deck was great. You could see the whole the city.

98% of people don't speak eloquently in casual conversation. Maybe 2% of us are gifted with that ability. The rest of us just talk. Many people can speak eloquently when they have prepared - so that usually means writing or prepared speeches. "Offers" is a word you would use when you are trying to sound more formal (not formal, but more formal). Like if you were writing a travelogue about your trip to that observation deck.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >