- It is raining cats and dogs
It is raining a lot

- He's no goat's toe!
He might seem a little strange, or eccentric, but he is definitely not stupid

Other animals

- a bird's-eye view of (a situation)
a summary of (a situation)......

This is not confirmed in English language, but I somehow feel it is not wrong to explain it this way as well:
'to have a narrow-minded view (on a situation)' or what do you say native English-speakers?

• Agnès E.

France, French
    Bonjour Tizha,
    Thank you very much for your participation in our Themed Lists sub-forum.
    Nevertheless, this sub-forum is a bit specific, as we are not allowed to discuss in it the phrases and words we are proposing. This is the reason why I am moving your question to the English only forum. I hope you won't mind. :)

GenJen54

USA - English
    This is not confirmed in English language, but I somehow feel it is not wrong to explain it this way as well:
    'to have a narrow-minded view (on a situation)' or what do you say native English-speakers?
    Hello Tizha,

I've not heard "bird's eye view" used in this way, but it's possible others have.

Gordonedi

UK (Scotland) English
    Tizha said:
    beri said:
    :idea:
    English expressions with names of animals

Domestic animals

- It is raining cats and dogs
    It is raining a lot

- He's no goat's toe!
    He might seem a little strange, or eccentric, but he is definitely not stupid

Other animals

a summary of (a situation)......

I haven't come across this second proposed meaning. I have only ever used "bird's eye view" in the sense of a broad overview of a topic. Now and again, I see a witty writer saying "an eagle's eye view" or "a hawk's eye view" meaning a broad view with a lot of fine detail, reflecting the excellent vision that these birds have from the air when hunting prey on the ground.

:)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I have never come across a bird's eye view that was anything other than the overall view from a high level - the kind you get for a weather forecast.

Oh, that reminds me, if you have information on particularly English ways of describing weather, the excellent themed-list sub-forum way over there in French-English would be very keen indeed to hear from you. So far, it appears that despite the well-known British obsession with conversations about weather there are hardly any English entries - but many French.

If you would like to help restore the balance, just CLICK HERE to have a look and then add your own favourite bit of weather description. This does not need to be about animals as well (although there is some dissertation on cold weather and monkeys).

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    panjandrum said:
    Oh, that reminds me, if you have information on particularly English ways of describing weather, the excellent themed-list sub-forum way over there in French-English would be very keen indeed to hear from you. So far, it appears that despite the well-known British obsession with conversations about weather there are hardly any English entries - but many French.

If you would like to help restore the balance, just CLICK HERE to have a look and then add your own favourite bit of weather description.
    Have you been nominated as this forum's personal advocate, or something, Pan?

Well, anyway, it has worked. I think I'll go have a look now. :rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >