a bit fussy about cleanliness

petisuis

Spain, Spanish
Hola, ¿cómo puedo decir que alguien es un poco maniático con la limpieza de la casa, pero sin que suene despectivo?
He pensado: "He's a bit fussy about cleanliness" , pero no sé cómo sonaría.
Muchas gracias por adelantado.

• EVAVIGIL

Spain / Spanish
    petisuis said:
    Hola, ¿cómo puedo decir que alguien es un poco maniático con la limpieza de la casa, pero sin que suene despectivo?
    He pensado: "He's a bit fussy about cleanliness" , pero no sé cómo sonaría.
    Muchas gracias por adelantado.
    ¡Hola, Petisuis!
    "Fussy" suena muy bien, y no es despectivo; nadie se va a ofender.
    Saluditos.
    EVA.

mariposita

US, English
    He's a bit of a neat freak... sería la manera coloquial (y muy frecuente) de decirlo. No es tan fuerte como suena.

octoplasm

Banned
    Spanish/English
    Sorry, but I disagree.;)

"Fussy" is not a sophisticated word, and is often used in everyday life...

Eva.
    I agree with you. Fussy is an everyday word.

A neat freak or a neatness maniac are more colloquial, though.

He's anal about neatness and cleanliness is another possbility.

chingachgook

spanish
    yes, but you guys how to explain the different uses of fussy in different contexts. when i said sophisticate, i meant picky is more used in that situation

Homero

USA--English
    Picky and fussy share (in my experience) the same social stratum (pretty much aureas mediocritas), but they have slightly different nuances of meaning. The former term seems to imply greater specificity; a picky person, to me, is one who knows precisely what he wants and does not want. Fussy is not that clear.

It would never occur to me that "fussy" carries any sophisticated connotation.

"Neat freak" is an excellent expression if you use it in a more youthful-sounding context. It fits in the class of terms like "control freak." Such terms should be used sparingly; they get old fast.

"Stickler for" is inspired, provided you intend to describe a person who not only expresses a strong preference and knowledge about a particular thing that he wants, but also exercises an insistent approach that often effects compliance.

Please take into account that my observation is based on my own experience over many years, not on any formal research.

< Previous | Next >