a bit hectic

NHHL

Singapore-English
Jennifer: How many sisters and brothers do you have?
Lucy: 3 brothers and 5 sisters.
Jennifer: Wow! That's a big family.
Lucy: Yeah. Home was always a bit hectic growing up.

- "Home was always a bit hectic growing up" means "My family was always exciting when I was growing up", correct? :)

Thanks a million!

• spatula

English - London (Irish ethnicity)
    Hi NHHL

The usual meaning for hectic in British English is 'very busy'. One's schedule can be hectic, for example, meaning that a person has a lot to try to get done and possibly not enough time in which to do it.

In this instance, hectic signifies something similar but you need to just imagine the situations this would apply to given the number of (young) children under one roof! I'm sure the people who found the lifestyle hectic more than anyone were the parents of 8 kids to look after - all with individual needs and schedules of their own. Does this make sense?

NHHL

Singapore-English
    Dear Spatula and other teachers!

- Thanks for your help. But does "growing up" here mean "when I grew up"?

Thanks so much!

spatula

English - London (Irish ethnicity)
    Well, 'growing up' is a long process over a continuous period (some might say I'm still going through this period!). To me it sounds wrong to describe it in this tense ('grew up') as it somehow sounds like it happened overnight.

You could correctly say 'I grew up in London' and leave that statement without any other back-up. However, in your original text I feel the sense she wants to convey is the on-going nature of it. It's a subtle difference.

Does this help?!

< Previous | Next >