A bit mixed up with "hold back"

loureed4

Spanish
Hello,

I am trying to make a sentence, and I thought this could be a proper way to say it:

"If we aren´t able to hold back the rice prices, there is going to be many demonstrations throughout the country"

As an alternative way, if the previous one didn´t work, I thought about this one:

"If we can´t stop the prices from raising, there is going to be many demonstrations..."

I am studying the phrasal verbs related to "hold" and I think the first attempt could go well, but I am not sure.

Thanks in advance!!

• Biffo

English - England
    As you are talking about rising prices I think that 'hold down' would be better. In your second sentence the verb should be 'to rise' and not 'to raise'.

I prefer the second one:

"If we can´t stop the prices from rising, there are going to be many demonstrations..."

loureed4

Spanish
    I see, thanks Biffo, I am learning the many meanings of the verbs, and according to Wordreference, it seemed to me that this would work too, for "hold back". In wordreference there is an example or several of them, but I like to make up my own examples to check if I got it right.

Thanks!!

Biffo

English - England
    I see, thanks Biffo, I am learning the many meanings of the verbs, and according to Wordreference, it seemed to me that this would work too, for "hold back". In wordreference there is an example or several of them, but I like to make up my own examples to check if I got it right.

Thanks!!
    I think you could hold back the price rises but not the rice prices! :D (That's a serious comment by the way - as well as being a pun)

loureed4

Spanish
    Yes, I reread the WordReference definition and usage of both "hold back" and "hold down" and you were right, not that I question it, but you know, to feel a bit more reassured. :)

the verb "hold" is crazy for me, it means many things, and moreover, with its phrasal verbs, but I have to learn it, I find it quite useful!

Thanks a lot Biffo, you are indeed of great help!!

< Previous | Next >