A bit more clear(er)

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
I don't understand you. Can you be a bit more clear?

Can you be a little bit more clearer?

I haven't understood what someone is saying, In that case which one should I say?

• Barque

Tamil
    Why haven't you understood what the other person is saying?

Is it because you don't understand the meaning of his words, or because he is being vague, or because you can't hear him properly?

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    Why haven't you understood what the other person is saying?

Is it because you don't understand the meaning of his words, or because he is being vague, or because you can't hear him properly?
    Does the question depend on this situation also. I didn't think of it.

What should I say, when a person is saying about something which I heard clearly but couldn't understand. Is there other better choices than clear?

Barque

Tamil
    What should I say, when a person is saying about something which I heard clearly but couldn't understand. Is there other better choices than clear?
    I'm in your position now.:)

Do you mean his words were so vague that most people wouldn't understand them? Or do you mean he used words/expressions that you hadn't heard before? Or was he referring to some idea or concept that you don't know anything about?

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    I'm in your position now.:)

Do you mean his words were so vague that most people wouldn't understand them? Or do you mean he used words/expressions that you hadn't heard before? Or was he referring to some idea or concept that you don't know anything about?
    How can I explain now, suppose he is talking about a thing about which I have less knowledge or not well informed.

Barque

Tamil
    If that is the case, "clear" isn't the right word to use. Asking someone to be more clear implies that he has not expressed himself properly but from your last post it seems the problem is that you don't have the ability to understand him.

There are many ways to ask a person to explain what he means in such a situation.

Could you please explain that?
    Could you please clarify what you mean by ...?
    Could you say that more simply please?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Could you please explain that?
    Could you say that more simply please?
    :thumbsup:
    Another useful phrase is
    Could you please go over that again? I'm not quite sure about -/ what is meant by - ... .

Even if he's the world's worst speaker, you might have to give the impression that your not understanding is entirely your own fault. :)

Last edited:

You little ripper!

Australian English
    When someone says something, one would assume that they're saying it in the clearest way they know how in order to be understood, so asking them to be "a bit more clear" is not logical. I like the other suggestions made.

jmichaelm

English - US
    This is how I would ask about something that I could not understand because I lacked some specific piece of knowledge. It is asking the person to be more clear and identifying specifically how to be more clear.

< Previous | Next >