a bit too good to be strictly true

bruceltk

Korean-Korea
"For those able to read, reading stories of the lives of the saints was a popular pastime for centuries, and books collecting short saints' biographies were best sellers. These often included terrifically colorful stories (about slaying dragons, magically traveling through space, etc.) that were perhaps a bit too good to be strictly true, and after finding God not one of them ever did a single thing that wasn't saintly—and some of them may not have actually existed."

I don't understand "a bit too good to be strictly true".
Could anybody explain to me what it means?
And if any could give me help, please give me a explanation of another underlined part, "not one of them ever did a single thing that wasn't saintly".

I' am very sorry for my poor English and many questions.
Thank you.

• grassy

Polish
    a bit too good to be strictly true
    Slaying a dragon in the name of God is a good story, but it's not necessarily true, or is it? :rolleyes:

and after finding God not one of them ever did a single thing that wasn't saintly
    It may refer to the extraordinary abilities the newly converted saints were said to have: it could involve miraculous healings and the powers to slay dragons.

wandle

English - British
    The stories of the saints sometimes said that the individual had been a bad sinner and done various bad deeds, but had then been converted to a follower of Christ and after that had done nothing but good deeds.

Even if you accept the Christian standard of good and evil, is it likely that anyone suddenly changed from being very bad to being very good, and never went back to old habits?

bruceltk

Korean-Korea
    Slaying a dragon in the name of God is a good story, but it's not necessarily true, or is it? :rolleyes:

It may refer to the extraordinary abilities the newly converted saints were said to have: it could involve miraculous healings and the powers to slay dragons.
    Very good! ;)

bruceltk

Korean-Korea
    The stories of the saints sometimes said that the individual had been a bad sinner and done various bad deeds, but had then been converted to a follower of Christ and after that had done nothing but good deeds.

Even if you accept the Christian standard of good and evil, is it likely that anyone suddenly changed from being very bad to being very good, and never went back to old habits?
    I got it! you're very kind! :p

< Previous | Next >