a black board eraser [blackboard]

< Previous | Next >

Aidensuh

Korean
a. a black board-eraser ‘a board-eraser that is black’ 2 1 3
b. a blackboard eraser ‘an eraser for a blackboard’ 1 3 2
c. a black board eraser ‘an eraser of a black board’ 3 1 2

Q) What does "a black board eraser" means? An eraser that is made of a black board? or An eraser that you use to erase something on the black board?

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    An eraser that you use to erase something on the blackboard? (one word, no hyphen) :tick:

I see a difference between black board and blackboard.

Last edited:

Aidensuh

Korean
    So "a black board eraser" means "an eraser that you use to erase something on the board that is black". Correct? If then, in (b), a blackboard eraser ‘an eraser for a blackboard’ 1 3 2, "for" is used whereas in (c) "of" is used. What is the difference in meaning? Why is "of" instead of "for" used in (c)?

sdgraham

USA English
    So "a black board eraser" means "an eraser that you use to erase something on the board that is black". Correct? If then, in (b), a blackboard eraser ‘an eraser for a blackboard’ 1 3 2, "for" is used whereas in (c) "of" is used. What is the difference in meaning? Why is "of" instead of "for" used in (c)?
    You could look at it like this, but it's better just to understand that "black board" is wrong if you mean a slate board that teachers write upon with chalk.

The numbers you continue to inject here have not meaning and only confuse the issues.

Why is "of" instead of "for" used in (c)
    Erasers, like chalk, are considered to be part of the blackboard environment. One needs all three to be effective.

"for" works as well but distances the eraser from the blackboard a bit.

JustKate

You should probably check the definition of blackboard, if you haven't already, Aidensuh Here's what the WR dictionary says: "a sheet of smooth material, esp. dark slate, used for writing with chalk." So as SDG and others have explained, it's not the same thing as a black board, which would simply mean "a board that is black in color."

Aidensuh

Korean
    For your information, I know the difference between a blackboard and a black board. When I said a black board, I meant "just a board that is black in color" and blackboard is the thingy in the classroom. I just got confused with the use of "for" and "of" in the examples. Thank you for your helps. :)

Forero

"A black board eraser" is ambiguous. It could mean a board eraser (itself ambiguous) that is black, an eraser made for a black board, or an eraser made of a black board.

Aidensuh

Korean
    This is the context in which I got the information.

Chomsky and Halle (1968: 20) incorporated the ISV in their rule-based grammar of English stress.
    Example (3a) has the most prominence on board, but black can be felt to have more prominence than eraser. The stress pattern is therefore 2 1 3. [Excessive quotation removed. Summary: The stress pattern of the other examples is explained similarly.]
    (3) a. a black board-eraser ‘a board-eraser that is black’ 2 1 3
    b. a blackboard eraser ‘an eraser for a blackboard’ 1 3 2
    c. a black board eraser ‘an eraser of a black board’ 3 1 2
    [Excessive quotation removed.]

<< Moderator's note: Text removed to bring quotation within 4 sentence limit.

Source: The Blackwell Companion to Phonology: Suprasegmental and prosodic phonology, Volume 2
    edited by Marc van Oostendorp, Colin J. Ewen, Elizabeth Hume, Keren Rice. (2011) >>

Last edited by a moderator:

Le Narud

Filipino
    Black board is a board that is black in color while blackboard is the name itself of a certain board even it has a different color.

so when you say "black board eraser" it means the eraser can be used only to a board that is colored black.

and when you say "blackboard eraser" it means the eraser can be used to a board in any color.

Last edited:

Aidensuh

Korean
    Thank you. I think your explanation sounds the most plausible. Now I understand what it really means. Thank you again.

< Previous | Next >