A black coat will never date.

Beautifully

Korea, Korean
Hello!
Before asking you a question, I need to say this, we are the most important person in the world, which I just heard from someone popular.

A black coat always looks smart and will never date.

As I guess of the blue phrase, as a black coat is very common and most worldwide widespread dressing code, so it will exist forever.
Would you clean my head by insulting your knowledge?
I very thank you.

• mtmjr

English (US)
    From context, it seems that you are correct. However, this formation is odd to me. I've always seen something like:

A black coat always looks smart and will never go out of date/style.

ausland

English - American
    I black coat will never look dated.

A black coat is timeless.

A black coat is always in style.

Arrius

English, UK
    You do indeed say that method is dated with the meaning of obsolete or obsolescent, but a black coat will never go out of fashion/ become unfashionable or either of the ways given by mtmjr.

Beautifully

Korea, Korean
    I supposed to say this, even if I wear a black coat every day, every month, year after year, it doesn't seem to be affected by newly trends.

WestSideGal

English, US
    I would think that it should be "A classic black coat always looks smart...". The color black itself is a classic color, but the style of the coat can be "trendy" and go out of style.

So if you wear a classic black coat every day, every month, year after year, it will not be affected by trendier designs.

< Previous | Next >