a blanc card

< Previous | Next >

aneta k.

polish
Hi there,
I'm looking for a phrase or an idiom to describe a person who is starting a new job and wants to say that he or she doesn't have any bad any good habits or work experience connected with that new specific position or job. I mean phrases like "a blank card" as used in a sentence like this: "I don't have any work experience any habits. I am a blank card". What phrases or idioms would you use to replace the phrase "blank card"?

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    Welcome!

A "blank slate" is an idiom that describes someone in that situation. The phrase is a direct translation of the Latin phrase "tabula rasa." You can also describe someone like that as a "blank canvas."

Edit: "Blank card" might be confused by people with an entirely different idiom, "blank check" (AE).

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    To me:

To start with a clean slate is usually used to indicate that any mistakes in the past have been erased/forgiven and forgotten.

To start with a blank page/as a blank canvas is usually used to indicate that the person knows nothing about the job at all but is willing to be taught and to learn, or is purposely ignoring any experience or opinions he may have - he wants to start as if all were new. This seems to be nearer what you want.

lingobingo

English - England
    To start with a clean slate is usually used to indicate that any mistakes in the past have been erased/forgiven and forgotten.
    :thumbsup: I agree. A clean slate is normally used to mean a slate that’s had to be wiped clean, indicating starting afresh. But a blank slate doesn’t carry the same connotation so is a good term to use. Merriam-Webster gives as a usage example: She viewed her students as blank slates, just waiting to be filled with knowledge (BLANK SLATE).

< Previous | Next >