A blend of remarkable pride and ineffable happiness rose within me

< Previous | Next >

Elaine Koh

Singapore English
A blend of remarkable pride and ineffable happiness rose within me when I saw my name at the top of the Informatics Team’s final list of participants for the National Contest.

Are the words in bold correctly used? Is 'for' the correct preposition?

Many thanks.

• JamesM

The form is correct, in my opinion: "a (noun) of (adjective) (noun) and (adjective) (noun) (verb) (prepositional phrase) is how I would see it.

I believe you have been here long enough to know that proofreading is not allowed. This request is very close to a request for proofreading. Can you tell us your specific doubts? Are you wondering about the use of those particular adjectives, the structure of the sentence, or something else?

Elaine Koh

Singapore English
    Hi James

I am not requesting proofreading. I read this sentence somewhere and found that it is constructed in a vague manner. As my English is not good enough, I wanted to make sure that it is correct English.

I can understand simple sentences better, but those high sounding ones make me unsure and I often have to ask native speakers what they are talking about.

I hope you would understand my unhappy state.

JamesM

In simplest terms, it says, "I felt something wonderful when I saw my name at the top of the list". The last part of the sentence tells us which list it was. The first part describes the wonderful feeling. It is a long sentence, I agree, but there is nothing unusual in it, as far as I can see, so I am not sure what might be causing you to doubt its construction. We need to see it through your eyes.

Which part is troubling you?

< Previous | Next >