a blessing in disguise

< Previous | Next >

Leon yang

Chinese
The sentence is that but the summit's failure could be a blessing in disguise.
Of course, it is about Copenhagen Conference.
I want to know a blessing in disguise is a good thing or not.I'm utterly confused about it.
Thanks.Leon

• Harry Batt

USA English
    I have never heard of a blessing in disguise which was not literally a good thing, though--and this is important--the person it happens to may not agree is is a blessing in disguise. Eg., Johnny at age 18 is asked by friends to aid in a bank robbery. On the day of the crime, Johnny falls off his bicycle and fractures a leg which event kept him from participating in the crime. The robbery was foiled. Six of the gang were captured and two escaped with $10,000. Johnny is angry that he can't participate in the distribution of the loot. He is told that his bicycle accident was a blessing in disguise because he wasn't involved and captured. Johnny is angry that he can't participate in the distribution of the loot.

Leon yang

Chinese
    I have never heard of a blessing in disguise which was not literally a good thing, though--and this is important--the person it happens to may not agree is is a blessing in disguise. Eg., Johnny at age 18 is asked by friends to aid in a bank robbery. On the day of the crime, Johnny falls off his bicycle and fractures a leg which event kept him from participating in the crime. The robbery was foiled. Six of the gang were captured and two escaped with $10,000. Johnny is angry that he can't participate in the distribution of the loot. He is told that his bicycle accident was a blessing in disguise because he wasn't involved and captured. Johnny is angry that he can't participate in the distribution of the loot.

According to your story, a blessing in disguise just means that someone don't panticipate in because of some accidents. Anyway, someone should not be punished or awarded if he is a blessing in disguise.
    Is it correct?Leon

BellaDancer

According to your story, a blessing in disguise just means that someone don't panticipate in because of some accidents. Anyway, someone should not be punished or awarded if he is a blessing in disguise.
    Is it correct?Leon
    It really does not have to do with punishment or reward.

A blessing in disguise is, as envie de voyager wrote, something that is a disappointment that, seen in a longer view, is in fact a positive occurrence.

A young girl may be disappointed that the dress she wanted was not available in her size. She finds a dress she likes even better and her mother says, "Not finding that first dress was a blessing in disguise."

A woman had hoped for a new job, but was not hired. Her husband says, "That job would have meant a lot of traveling away from home. It may be a blessing in disguise that you didn't get it. A better job will come along."

< Previous | Next >