A blind man riding on the back of a blind tiger

wakaba

Japanese
Hi,
I'm trying to find out what the phrase above actually means.
This is a quote by Jack Ma, the founder of Alibaba Group.
He called himself "a blind man riding on the back of a blind tiger."

I have read some English websites to understand his words, but I'm still not sure about it.
It means like "he started from little knowledge about the Internet business, but he's tried hard anything he could," I suppose.

At an award ceremony held in New York, 2014, he said,
“I’ve described myself as ‘a blind man riding on the back of a blind tiger’ but those experts riding horses all fell. We survived because we worried about the future and we believed in the future and we changed ourselves.”
For your reference : Jack Ma Honored With Asia Society's First Asia Game Changer Award | Alizila.com

I'm afraid I can't read Chinese, so I hope someone will give me their opinions in English.
Thank you in advance.

• Ghabi

AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod
    Cantonese
    Hello and welcome to the forum. It sounds like a combination of two traditional idioms:

- "a blind man riding a blind horse" (盲人騎瞎馬), used to describe a dangerous situation
    - "riding a tiger -- difficult to get off" (騎虎難下), used to describe a dilemma: you've already started something, and there's no turning back even if you want to.

I hope this gives you an idea.

wakaba

Japanese
    Thank you very much for your kind response.

I didn't expect that the phrase comes from two idioms.
    I will try putting together these idioms and find out the best Japanese translation.

That really helps!

< Previous | Next >