a blind man's cane

LoganLockwood

Español
How do you call a blind man's cane?

The one he uses to check for obstacles and nowadays are made of plastic or light metal.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    In English we ask "What do you call X?" (not how).
    I think that it would still be called a cane even though it is made of somethng else, but that would be a guess on my part.

To me, a walking stick is something used by a non-blind person, for example on a hike.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I'm obviously sort of wrong, but I would in speech say "blind man's walking stick". When I think of cane, I think of crutch, which blind people don't need. But, after due google-ence, it's "cane". Sorry to be misleading.

JamesM

That's what I would call it, too. A white cane immediately signals that it's a blind man's cane unless there is some other context to explain the reason for it being white.

Loob

English UK
    I was just going to write what wandle wrote: white stick.

I'd say your blind British acquaintance is using cane in deference to AE usage.

Rover
    I'm not sure, Rover.

"White stick", to me, now has overwhelming overtones of football supporters yelling "Where's your white stick, ref?"

I see the Royal National Institute for the Blind website uses "cane".

ewie

English English
    "White stick", to me, now has overwhelming overtones of football supporters yelling "Where's your white stick, ref?"
    You watch too much footie, Mrs:rolleyes:

It's still a white stick to me:thumbsup: (Mind you, I still use terms like blind rather than 'visually impaired', still call the capital of China Peking, etc. etc.)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    ...I'd say your blind British acquaintance is using cane in deference to AE usage...
    He may well be. He knows I'm a Yank and was working for a U.S. company when I first met him. We talked on the phone to set up a breakfast meeting in London. I didn't yet know that he was blind. Part of our conversation went like this:

Me: "If you want to recognize me, there's a picture on the [company name] Web site."
    Him, with a laugh: "I'm afraid it won't do me much good, but you'll recognize me by the white cane."

< Previous | Next >