myly

French
In the sentence
He made the whole story up, it was just a blind
What would be the difference if I say
it was just a lie

• owlman5

English-US
    You would be saying pretty much the same thing, Myly. By saying the story was "a blind", the writer tells us that the story was "a ruse", or a false story designed to hide the truth from others.

Loob

English UK
    I agree with owlman about the meaning, but the connotations of the two words are decidedly different....

Can you tell us more about the context, myly?

myly

French
    It's about a father who tells his children he is sick in order to make them come. And after their arrival one of his children discover that's not true.

When couldn't I use lie instead of blind?

owlman5

English-US
    In your sentence, Myly, "blind" works very well. A "lie" is just a false statement: Somebody asks me: "Did you eat all the cookies?" I say "no". That is just a lie. It's not a "blind" or a "ruse" because it is simple. I don't offer any false details.

A "blind" or a "ruse" is an elaborate lie. It is a story invented with details designed to make people believe that something is true that is actually false. Both "blind" and "ruse" imply a story designed to disguise the truth.

myly

French
    Ok I think I understand the difference.
    But one more question about blind
    When somebody invents a false story
    He make a blind? He uses a blind? He tell a blind?

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    Actually, I find "blind" a little unusual here. It's understandable in context, but people would likely use these words instead: a cover story; a pretense; a ruse.

In my part of the world, we usually only talk about "blinds" when we are talking about places that hunters have camouflaged with branches so that they can ambush their prey: The hunters sat in the duck blind all day, waiting for the ducks to fly over them.

< Previous | Next >