a blind spot around our privilege, shaped exactly like us

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    A little more context would probably be helpful:

"The funny thing about our privilege is that we all have a blind spot around our privilege, shaped exactly like us. Most of us will identify privileges that we know we could live without."

Myridon

English - US
    There's a part of privilege that you don't see because it's your own privilege. That's not "privilege" - that's just stuff that I have because I deserve it.

Noon2501

Arabic-Egypt
    There's a part of privilege that you don't see because it's your own privilege. That's not "privilege" - that's just stuff that I have because I deserve it.

what does he mean when he says that the blind spot is "shaped exactly like us"?

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    A blind spot is something which stops us from seeing something. e.g. Cars sometimes have blind spots in their mirrors so that you cannot see other vehicles behind you when they are in a certain position, such as when they start to overtake you.

2. An area where a person's view is obstructed.
    ‘the rear-view mirror eliminates blind spots on both sides of the car’

2.1 An area in which a person lacks understanding or impartiality.
    ‘Ed had a blind spot where these ethical issues were concerned’
    blind spot | Definition of blind spot in English by Oxford Dictionaries

In the OP, Diaz is saying that metaphorically each person's blind spot is shaped exactly like themselves so that they can see everything beyond (i.e. other people and what they do or have) but they are unable to see any fault in the way they live and what they have. (i.e. We are each blind, or have a blind spot, to our own circumstances or as Diaz calls it 'privilege'.)

< Previous | Next >