• WARNING: The forums will be closed for maintenance for 60-90 minutes starting at 10:30 am US Eastern Time (GMT -5, 2:30 pm in most of Europe).

a block of delicate pale light, beamed down into the park

Shelly199506

Chinese
I read this from The Great Gatsby but couldn't figure out the grammatical structure.

Here is the sentence:

We passed a barrier of dark trees, and then the facade of Fifty-ninth Street, a block of delicate pale light, beamed down into the park.

Can anyone analyze the sentence structure for me ? What's the function of "a block of delicate pale light, beamed down into the park." here?

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    First, I'm taking your extract as it stands, including the commas even though they seem a little odd. There are two ways to read it:

1. We passed a barrier of dark trees, and then we passed the facade of Fifty-ninth Street. This façade resembled a block of delicate pale light which had been beamed by the sun down into the park.

To beam down =
    to direct down, to point down.

2. We passed a barrier of dark trees; after that, the facade of Fifty-ninth Street (which resembled a block of delicate pale light) smiled down into the park.

To beam =
    to smile broadly.

Shelly199506

Chinese
    First, I'm taking your extract as it stands, including the commas even though they seem a little odd. There are two ways to read it:

1. We passed a barrier of dark trees, and then we passed the facade of Fifty-ninth Street. This façade resembled a block of delicate pale light which had been beamed by the sun down into the park.

To beam down =
    to direct down, to point down.

2. We passed a barrier of dark trees; after that, the facade of Fifty-ninth Street (which resembled a block of delicate pale light) smiled down into the park.

To beam =
    to smile broadly.
    I check from the dictionary that if something such as the sun or a lamp beams down, it sends light to a place and shines on it. So, I think to beam here is to send light down into the park. What do you think?

< Previous | Next >