a blood-boiling song

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I am listening to a song these days and the song is from a TV show in China. The show is mainly about how the young man bites the bullet and finally revenges a group of people who killed his father and his friends.

The song is sung in a solemn way, but from the lyrics and melody, it makes one's blood boiling. Also, the song is closely connected to the TV show. The lyrics were well-written and encouraging.

I wonder if I can say:

XX is a blood-boiling Song. Of course I'd love to tell its name in Chinese alphabet.

<Feng Qi Shi> is a blood-boiling song.

Thanks a lot

• Myridon

English - US
    No. You can't (even if he has been putting it off for a long time so that when he finally bites the bullet and gets revenge on a group of people, it makes your blood boil).

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "Blood-boiling" is not currently used as an adjective. Nor is it used in the sense you seem to be using it.

The constructions are:

"It makes my blood boil" = "It makes me furiously angry."
    "His blood boiled as he listened." -> "He became furious with anger whilst listening."
    "He could feel his blood beginning to boil." -> "He felt himself becoming furiously angry.

Can you tell us exactly which emotion the song arouses?

Silver

Thanks a lot, first, for your help and I'd like to be more specific. By the way, I looked up what "bite the bullet" means, but it seems that I still failed?

I don't want to say that the song makes one very angry. I want to say that the song (is sung) in a special way, like one sings the national anthem. And when I said "encouraging", I meant to say that the song is filled with "courage".

Well, I'd like to put my question in a different way, I wonder if I can say a song (not this in discussion):

XX is an encouraging song.

Thanks a lot

BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    Rousing is good. It makes you want to stand up and be like that person.

Stirring would fit also if you are more emotionally moved by the song but not quite ready to act.

Silver

I saw Loob's answer when I was about to sleep, then I saw Blueglaze's answer when I woke up for a pee. I am sorry for the delay but yes, the word I need is "rousing" and "stirring".

I was quite sure yet, I then looked up "rousing" and found Parla's post; she talked about the terms and I immediately understood that they are the terms I was looking for.

You know, in order not to complicate matter, I was thinking an easier way to express myself. But since this is a language question, a way to test how well I could express myself, I tried despite of those difficulties.

To be honestly, my dream was about this thread.

The singer, as well as the actor of the TV show, once got serious injury in a car accident, his assistant died but he remained alive. The TV show is mainly talking about a young woman whose father was killed 12 years ago and he was the only person who left in the "massacre". His father was the commander of the army while he was his father's assistant. The whole army team (in ancient China) has 70,000 people. According to the story, there were a few people left after the massacre.

Anyway, the word is "rousing", I was thinking whether "stirring" is okay and Parla, Blueglaze had explained. May I have one last question. According to our dictionary:

XX is a rousing song. :tick:

Is it also okay to say:

The song is rousing. :confused:
    The song is stirring. :confused:

I think I surely can. Am I right?

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think we're on the right track.

If you do prefer something more "body-oriented", like the Chinese, then, from the context you've provided, I imagine:
    The song is gut-wrenching. (EDIT: This may be too much of a stretch.)
    The song tears/rips your heart out.
    The song brings you to tears.

These are "stronger" terms, that are more emotional than "rousing" or "stirring", but they are still positive, in the sense that the song moves you deeply. :confused:

I hope I'm following you correctly.

< Previous | Next >