a blow of a fan

Super Saiyan

Cantonese
Hi, Peter is holding a electric hand-held fan in the hot weather. He feels good about it.

You say, "Peter is enjoying the blow of the fan."

The blow of a fan, is it a natural way to say it? Thanks a lot.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Blow" (with this meaning) is not a noun. It is only a verb. "The fan blows (air) on Peter."

Flowing air is called "a breeze". A breeze may be from a fan or air conditioner indoors, or from the wind outdoors.

Super Saiyan

Cantonese
    "Blow" (with this meaning) is not a noun. It is only a verb. "The fan blows (air) on Peter."

Flowing air is called "a breeze". A breeze may be from a fan or air conditioner indoors, or from the wind outdoors.

So for my situation, we can say ‘the fan is blowing (the) air on Peter’ coz Peter is holding the fan?

Truffula

English - USA
    Yes, you can say "the fan is blowing (the) air on Peter" but it's not especially typical of the way a native speaker would say it. It's better than "the blow of the fan" though. I'm not sure how to say what you seem to be trying to say, exactly. We'd be more likely to say that Peter is blowing air on himself with the fan than that the fan is doing it, since it's hand held, I think.

Super Saiyan

Cantonese
    Yes, you can say "the fan is blowing (the) air on Peter" but it's not especially typical of the way a native speaker would say it. It's better than "the blow of the fan" though. I'm not sure how to say what you seem to be trying to say, exactly. We'd be more likely to say that Peter is blowing air on himself with the fan than that the fan is doing it, since it's hand held, I think.
    You just said what I am trying to say. ‘Peter is blowing air on himself with the fan.’ ‘Peter is enjoying a breeze from a fan’ is also a sentence that I am looking for.

Do we need ‘the’ before air?

Truffula

English - USA
    No, don't use "the" before "air" in this case.

I think that "coz" was just a misspelling of "cause" short for "because" ...

anthox

English - Northeast US
    I feel like we would commonly just say, "Peter is enjoying the fan." It's implied that he is enjoying the breeze blowing from the fan - I don't believe there is any other way in which a fan might be enjoyable.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    So for my situation, we can say ‘the fan is blowing (the) air on Peter’ because Peter is holding the fan?
    "Blowing (air) on Peter" doesn't mean Peter is holding the fan. It means the moving air hits Peter. If it is an electric fan, it may be on a desk or shelf or on the floor. It may be a fan someone else is holding.

< Previous | Next >