a bluff

< Previous | Next >

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Can "bluff" describe a muscular guy who looks strong and intimidating, but if you put him in a fight he'll get knocked down in a second? If not, do you have any suggestion? Thanks

Your opponent's got 40 pounds on you but he can't fight. His muscular body is just a bluff.

• Askalon

English (US)
    I don't think that's a term in American English. According to the dictionary "bluff" can be used as an adjective (to mean something along the lines of "rough" or "brusque"), although I've never actually heard that usage either. I'm not sure whether it's possible to use it as a noun like that.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The correct word is buff, not bluff, and it is an adjective.

His body is buff.
    He has been trying to get buff.
    I don't think this is what redgiant means. Redgiant means that his muscular appearance is just a fake; the person appears strong, but that appearance is deceptive. He really is weak.

I don't think we'd call that a "bluff". A bluff is usually an action. I would say that his muscular appearance is deceptive. However, I am certain that someone else will have a better suggestion.

Added: Cross-posted with Tazzler.

ribran

English - American
    I don't think this is what redgiant means. Redgiant means that his muscular appearance is just a fake; the person appears strong, but that appearance is deceptive. He really is weak.

I don't think we'd call that a "bluff". A bluff is usually an action. I would say that his muscular appearance is deceptive. However, I am certain that someone else will have a better suggestion.

Added: Cross-posted with Tazzler.
    I will concede that my suggestion was a lousy one, but a fighter's success depends on more than just brawn; a fighter must also be physically and mentally agile. He cannot lumber about the fighting ring, swinging aimlessly at his opponent.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Hi, do you think "bluff" works in this context?

A Mixed Martial Arts fighter had been beating weak amateurs to build up his gaudy 20-0 record, which was remarkable enough to get him hired by a national MMA organization. His first match would be against a former champion. I believed he wouldn't stand a chance in this fight. His undefeated record was just a bluff and didn't mean anything.

What I am trying to say is that his undefeated record against amateur fighters wasn't much more impressive than a high school bully beating a kid in third grade.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    His undefeated record was just a bluff and didn't mean anything.
    I wouldn't say that his record was a 'bluff'. A 'bluff' is something the person says or does to look better than they actually were. I might say that his claim to be a champion fighter was just a bluff.

< Previous | Next >