A blunder in a chess game

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
Hello. What verb do you use when a chess player makes a very bad move? They oversee something and their opponent captures a valuable piece, a rook for instance. In Russian, we use the verb "to yawn". "He yawned his queen" (informal, colloquial). What is the English equivalent? Thanks.
  • Thomas Tompion

    Senior Member
    English - England
    You must distinguish, Gvozd, between to oversee and to overlook. Here you meant to say They overlook something etc.

    An informal, colloquial, expression here in British English would be He gifted his queen.


    Senior Member
    UK English
    But leaving your queen en prise can be an intentional tactic, not a blunder. It just means there for the taking; if the opponent takes it, he may well lose position drastically.
    To leave a queen en prise normally means that you have overlooked that it can be taken. Of course, it may be done intentionally.
    One may also argue about the use of this expression: see En prise (Chess Term) by Edward Winter, which also comments on how it is pronounced, correctly and incorrectly.

    "In Harry Golombek’s The Encyclopedia of Chess (London, 1977) the entry for ‘en prise’ (written by H.G. himself) stated:
    When a player unintentionally places a piece where it may be captured, then he is said to put the piece en prise."

    In a subsequent paperback edition, the word unintentionally was removed. :)
    Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >