a boat where you pedal

  • Blumengarten

    Senior Member
    America / English
    You may be right, but I've always heard the small boats like this one referred to as "paddle boats."
    I don't actually recall ever seeing it written, just heard it! When I checked on Dictionary.com, that's what they said. But I'll bet this is one of those cases where "pedal boat" is being replaced by "paddle boat" because people mishear the word -- the latter is certainly easier to say.


    Senior Member
    English UK
    In the UK, we usually say pedalo (though pedal-boat would be an alternative).

    By the way, the Wiki entry for pedalo gives "paddle-boat" as the US equivalent!

    < Previous | Next >