a body gets cooled/frozen/chilled in the water?

Zealous

Russian
A body that is put into water gets cooled much faster than if it's in the air.

People, I'd like to find a more scientific word for cool for the context.

What's better: a body gets

• cooled
  • frozen
  • chilled
in the water? (Should I use article "the" in front of water?)

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
    A body that is put into the water gets cooled much faster than if it's in the air.

People, I'd like to find a more scientific word for cool for the context.

What's better: a body gets

• cooled
    • frozen
    • chilled
    in the water? (Should I use article "the" in front of water?)

Thank you!
    The correct scientific term for what happens when a body is put in water (and no, you don't need 'the' water) will depend on the temperature of the water. If the water is at blood temperature, the body will not cool down at all. If the water is at a very low temperature e.g. 4 degrees Celsius, then the body will chill; it will not actually freeze unless it is stored at a temperature below 0 degrees Celsius.

If you are saying that in water which is below blood temperature, a body will cool more quickly than in air of the same temperature, then that is how you need to say it.

Bodies do not 'get cooled' or 'get frozen'; they cool, or they chill; the passive voice is also possible : 'the body is cooled by..'

Zealous

Russian
    Oh thank you, Manon! Is the general term for any object in physics called "body", or it refers just to human body? In my initial context an object was in water (like stone or metal)

manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
    Oh thank you, Manon! Is the general term for any object in physics called "body", or it refers just to human body? In my initial context an object was in water (like stone or metal)
    Yes, you are correct; I was assuming you meant a human body, but I see now it did not have to be.

< Previous | Next >