a bolt-on wonder boy

< Previous | Next >

Agito a42

Source: Need for Speed - Most Wanted (2005), an American street racing video game.

Street racer Ryan arrives in Rockport, where he's met by the local racers:
Razor mockingly: Another bolt-on wonder boy looking to get smoked.

There is a number of WR threads on "bolt-on", but even after reading them, I'm not sure who a "bolt-on wonder boy" is. Is it a wonder boy who likes to decorate his car?

• kentix

English - U.S.
    It's quite mysterious. As many parts of this game seem to be. I don't know that it has an obvious meaning outside the context of the game.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "Bolt-on + noun" is used by car fans in a mildly derogatory phrase to refer to something that is cheap, quick and easy to apply, and ineffective."

In your context "bolt-on boy wonder" - someone who thinks that he a superb driver but nobody esle does.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Paul, could it be referring to the type of person who enters a sport by buying all the latest, fanciest equipment before developing any actual skill? I know that there are people who spend a lot of money on fancy bicycles and fancy clothes to go with them who have no skill or experience as a serious bicycle rider.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Paul, could it be referring to the type of person who enters a sport by buying all the latest, fanciest equipment before developing any actual skill?
    I wouldn't have thought so: the use is
    A: "Dave says he's tuned his car."
    B: "Dave's an idiot - What's he done, bought a couple of bolt-on cylinders?"

C: "Do you really think that the bolt-on aerofoil is going to give you any more grip? What did it cost, $20?"

Basically, anything that is described as "bolt-on" may be superficially attractive but highly unlikely to be effective.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Sounds close to "lousy".
    1. "Lousy" is now a word that is somewhat out of fashion - I rarely hear it.
    2. No, that is not the meaning. Amateurish and inept are closer - or superfluous or supernumerary.
    3. The sense and meaning of "Bolt-on" when speaking of car accessories is (as you will notice by my difficulty in explaining) rather hard to describe - it contains the idea that there is a cheap and simple solution to the problem of making your car go faster, improving acceleration, braking, and/or road-holding - and there is not.

It is part of this meaning that is used in the figurative use in your example.
    If I were to say to someone who writes computer programs "You are one bolt-on programmer", meaning they're of no use, would it be acceptable?
    No. Not at all.
    1. You should not use "one" in place of 'a/an' - it sounds as if you are trying too hard to be "cool" and that you are failing. "One", in this use is no longer idiomatic - really, it isn't - it sounds terrible.
    2. "A bolt-on programmer" would be a programmer, regardless of his abilities, who is added to a team not because he is necessary - he would not be - but because the client expects there to be a programmer on the team when, in fact there is no need for one.

Agito a42

Thank you, Paul! All points you made in your previous post were very enlightening. I have a much better understanding of the OP phrase now. I only have one question left.
    Another bolt-on wonder boy looking to get smoked.
    In your context "bolt-on boy wonder" - someone who thinks that he a superb driver but nobody esle does.
    Do "wonder boy" and "boy wonder" have the same meaning?

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Hmm... My mistake. "Boy Wonder" is the nickname of Batman's sidekick Robin: it is used to mean "a minor hero".

"Wonder boy" is similar but more general - a title, used ironically, to indicate that the person thinks he is far better than he is.

< Previous | Next >