A book and some paper are on the floor

1) A book and some paper is one floor .
2) A book and some paper are on the floor.
Which one is correct?
Also if I changed the correct one into a yes/no question (Is\Are the book and some paper on the floor) what would be the answer? Yes, they are or yes, it is?

• lingobingo

English - England
    1) A book and some paper is on the floor. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
    2) A book and some paper are on the floor. :tick::thumbsdown:

In practice, it’s unlikely that anyone would say it that way. This is a perfect example of why we have the ‘existential there’ to enable us to say certain things in a more intelligible way.

There’s a book and some paper on the floor. :tick::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1) A book and some paper is on the floor. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
    2) A book and some paper are on the floor. :tick::thumbsdown:

In practice, it’s unlikely that anyone would say it that way. This is a perfect example of why we have the ‘existential there’ to enable us to say certain things in a more intelligible way.

There’s a book and some paper on the floor. :tick::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Yes, I know that those sentences are unlikely but I'm interested in their grammar, not likeliness. Anyway, to your native ears which one sounds grammatically correct?
    And if I were to change it into a yes/no question, should I answer with the pronoun "they" or "it"?

Andygc

British English
    I think lingobingo should have written :cross::cross::cross:, not :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:. But she has already answered your grammar question. The pronoun "it" can only be used for a singular referent.

I think lingobingo should have written :cross::cross::cross:, not :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:. But she has already answered your grammar question. The pronoun "it" can only be used for a singular referent.
    So just to make sure I got it right. Since I'm referring to 2 items, I must use "are" meaning that if I were to replace "a book and some paper" with a pronoun, it should be "they", am I right?

< Previous | Next >