A book for learning/to learn

< Previous | Next >

ValentinaDen

Russian
Hello, dear users!
I've been looking for a particular grammar rule, which name I don't know. Maybe you will explain this rule if I give you some examples:
I need a good book to learn English.
I need a good book for learning English.
Thank you in advance!

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    If you are asking about the difference between the two sentences, here are my thoughts:
    The first one tells why you need a good book: in order to learn English.
    The second one tells what kind of book you need: one that is good for learning English.
    I think "for learning English" is a modifier that qualifies "good", even though they are separated by "book".

ValentinaDen

Russian
    If you are asking about the difference between the two sentences, here are my thoughts:
    The second one tells what kind of book you need: one that is good for learning English.
    I think "for learning English" is a modifier that qualifies "good", even though they are separated by "book".
    Thank you for your reply! Actually, I had the same thoghts in my mind.

taraa

Persian
    How about:
    vegetables for cooking vegetable soup. (I want to mean like "to cook")

< Previous | Next >