A book I recommend (to) everybody

< Previous | Next >

Cecilio

Spanish, Valencian/Catalan
Hello. I would say a phrase like "A book I recommend to everybody", with the preposition "to", but is it also possible to say it without the preposition: "A book I recommend everybody"?

• Packard

USA, English
    You can recommend to or commend to; or you can say the book is commendable.

Or you can say this is a book that I recommend highly.

Or this is a commendable book.

AWordLover

USA English
    Hello. I would say a phrase like "A book I recommend to everybody", with the preposition "to", but is it also possible to say it without the preposition: "A book I recommend everybody"?
    Hi,

I would not recommend that you elide read.
    A book I recommend everyone/everybody [read].

Everyone does sound better than everybody. I think the read could be understood, but people would probably think you made a mistake and left out "to".

Loob

English UK
    Hi Cecilio

You can say:

"A book I recommend to everybody":tick:
    "A book I recommend everybody to read":tick:
    "A book I recommend [that] everybody read":tick: (not very common in British English)

You can't say:

"A book I recommend everybody":cross:

As regards "everybody" and "everyone", I see them as interchangeable.

All the best

Loob

Cecilio

Thank you very much for your answers.

It seems that a sentence like "A book I recommend everybody to read" is correct. What about these?:

"I recommend you to read this book"

"I recommend everybody to read this book".

Are they correct in your opinion?

AWordLover

USA English

It seems that a sentence like "A book I recommend everybody to read" is correct. What about these?:

Hi,
    The "to read" construct sounds odd to me in all these sentences.
    I can't comment on correctness, because I don't even like the first.

unknown001

USA, English
    Well, in the first one, your suggested D.O. of recommend is "you" because of the word order. So it isn't the best way of saying this phrase.
    The second seems to have the same issue, although theoretically, they are both correct, but they aren't "good".

Loob

English UK

In British English: yes, they're fine. See this link which includes recommend as one of the verbs which can take a Verb - Noun - to infinitive pattern.

That said, the reaction from previous posters seems to indicate that American English tends not to use this construction.

Life is complicated:)

Loob

Cecilio

In British English: yes, they're fine. See this link which includes recommend as one of the verbs which can take a Verb - Noun -to infinitive pattern.

That said, the reaction from previous posters seems to indicate that American English tends not to use this construction.

Life is complicated:)

Loob

You're right! Life is complicated, also when you're a teacher of English and you have to correct your students' compositions!

Loob

English UK
    You're right! Life is complicated, also when you're a teacher of English and you have to correct your students' compositions!
    My sympathies Cecilio!

By the way, I should have made clear in my first post in this thread that
    "A book I recommend [that] everybody read":tick:
    is relatively uncommon in BrE because it includes a third person singular present tense subjunctive. We Brits are learning this subjunctive back from our transatlantic cousins, but we're still not as comfortable with it as they are....

Where there's no obvious subjunctive involved, BrE is quite happy with a that clause after recommend:

"A book I recommend [that] you read":tick:

Sorry if this complicates matters further;)

Loob

< Previous | Next >