a book is for/gerund or infinitive

navi

Banned
armenian
Which are correct:

1-A book is to read, not to buy and keep in your library.
2-A book is for reading, not for buying and keeping in your library.

3-This book is to read, not to buy and keep in your library.
4-This book is for reading, not for buying and keeping in your library.

I use 2 and 4 or use the passive infinitive ('is to be read'...but this sounds a bit like it is telling you what you have to do). But I am never sure if sentences like 1 and 3 are correct or not.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I can't see any significant difference between any of these. You're right that the passive 'to be read' can be interpreted as a directive, but it need not be. In your full sentences, the passive is slightly unlikely because you'd have to repeat the more complex passive structure: 'A book is to be read, not to be bought and kept in your library.' This just means the same as the simpler active construction.

navi

Banned
    armenian
    Thanks a lot Entangledbank.

How about:

1-I have a book to read on the train.
    2-I have a book to be read on the train.
    3-I have a book for reading on the train.

Does 2 imply that the book has to be read on the train.
    BTW, I don't think any of these necessarily imply that I am the one who is going to do the reading. 3 seems to say that this book is the kind of book that one reads on a train and the other two could be short for I have a book for you to read on the train.

Am I correct?

Driven

USA/English

1-I have a book to read on the train. (means the speaker has a book for himself that he can read if he wants to while on the train.)
    2-I have a book to be read on the train. (means the speaker must read the book on the train)
    3-I have a book for reading on the train. (means the speaker has a book that anybody can read on the train but most likely for the speaker to read.)

Does 2 imply that the book has to be read on the train.:tick:

< Previous | Next >