A book of articles by different authors???

jónico

en-us
Hi everyone,
I'm spacing out. What do we call in English a book (in this case academic) of papers/articles written by different authors? Bibliographies cite it by the editor, but that kind of "collective" book has a name, doesn't it?

Saturday morning at work--my brain is numb.
Thanks,
Jónico

• river

U.S. English
    "Collected essays" as in Amplifying Your Effectiveness: Collected Essays. Contributors include. . .

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "Collected essays" as in Amplifying Your Effectiveness: Collected Essays. Contributors include. . .
    I think this is the term you want for a collection of essays in an academic context. Anthology may be what you mean, but it is somewhat different. If you aren't already familiar with its meaning, you should look it up.

jónico

en-us
    Thanks everyone. "Anthology" had skipped my mind completely (though the book I'm referring to isn't an anthology academically speaking). "Collection of articles" may have to do, though I'm still trying to avoid any ambiguity regarding authorship (different articles, each by a different author vs. different articles by the same author). I'm looking for a word for the first case, a collection of different articles, each by a different author, edited and published together in one volume.

[wow, David, that "jam of tarts" part is way over my head; the prose pun is good, though]

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It does seem that there should be a word, but I can't think of one or find one anywhere. The Chicago Manual of Style refers to "multiauthor works", but only to discuss the related bibliography and indexing issues. There is also the special category of books that are "proceedings of" a symposium/ conference/ meeting.

If there is another term, I would be curious to know it.

Hatori Hanzo

Czech
    Hi, I think the term we are looking for is an ‘edited volume’. Wikipedia says: "An edited volume is a collection of scholarly or scientific chapters written by different authors. The chapters in an edited volume are original works (not republished works)."

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I've actually edited several such books, each containing articles by a variety of authors pertaining to a single general topic. I've just pulled them off the shelf, and I find that each is described on the cover as a "collection of articles". I think compilation (suggested by Loob in post #8) would be an equally good word, but it may depend on the intended audience; the word collection is more familiar to the general public.

In my experience, "anthology" is more often used for collections of short stories or poems.

< Previous | Next >