a book of lifetime

< Previous | Next >
  • bibliolept

AE, Español
    Though you might conceivably say it is "for a lifetime," the meaning you are seeking would in no way be immediately understood by the reader. The meaning might be closer if you said "a book for life" or perhaps better still "a lifelong book," but even then they would not immediately communicate that you are trying to say. The clearest way might be to say that it is "a book that will last you a lifetime," though I don't think I've encountered such a description for a book before.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Well, I'm not entirely sure what you mean but there's an expression 'the [something] of a lifetime".
    It means nothing could ever be better than that [something].

kentix

English - U.S.
    The trip of a lifetime means it was an amazing trip (vacation/holiday), for instance, to Egypt where you saw the pyramids and all the other amazing things. Maybe you saved to your money for a long time to go. You don't necessarily expect to ever have a trip as interesting, exciting and amazing as that ever again. It took place at one specific time in your life.

Now try to imagine that with a book. The book will exist for decades, it doesn't have a start and an end like a trip, you can read it as many times as you want, it doesn't take place at one specific time in your life. It just doesn't make sense to say that about a book.

Jektor

English (UK)
    The meaning might be closer if you said "a book for life"...
    I agree. I still have a number of inspirational books which I read in my younger days, and which I still refer back to from time to time. To me they are "books for life". You might call the Bible a "book for life".
    One of my "books for life" is "The Master Key".

< Previous | Next >