a book or the book

< Previous | Next >

sunnymood

Russian
Hi everyone,
Which article should I use in this context?

I like reading and want to tell my friend about a/the book I enjoyed. How can I say?

'A book I enjoyed or the book I enjoyed is called The Dream by Dorrie Williams. Lois has left school and is now a famous pop singer, etc.'

Thanks.

• AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    You've probably enjoyed more than one book. You should say a book I enjoyed to convey the fact that you've enjoyed many books and you're now going to discuss one of them.

If you had only enjoyed a single book, you'd use the to indicate that you're discussing something specific: the one book that you've enjoyed.

Uncle Jack

British English
    There are a number of reasons for using "the", and it depends very much on what has happened before.

If you have already said that there is a book you enjoyed, and now you are saying which book it is, then use "the". If this is the first time you have mentioned enjoying a book, then "a" is probably better, but if you and the person you are talking to are discussing books you have enjoyed, then "one" might be better.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Your main sentence is "This book is called The Dream by Dorrie Williams." The sentence is about the book. Attempting to add another full-sentence idea "I enjoyed this book" is tricky. But it is possible.

One common way people do this is using "one" (not "the/a") and removing "called":

"One book I enjoyed is The Dream by Dorrie Williams. Lois has left school and is now a famous pop singer, etc."

Often "one" and "a" have the same meaning. "One" emphasizes that it is just one of many books (that I have read). But this sentence is also correct using "A" instead of "One".

< Previous | Next >