a book report that is eight-pages long

< Previous | Next >

min1127

Korean- Republic of Korea
Hello, everyone.

I want to ask you whether the phrase 'a book report that is eight pages long' has the same or similar meaning with 'A report that is eight pages long on a book of unspecified length'. I thought that-clause 'that is eight pages long' modifies the noun 'report', and also the 'book' (maybe noun, am I right?) modifies the noun 'report'. As my assignment was to state the two meanings of the phrase 'eight-page book report' (which is written below) in my words, before I deliver my answer, I want to make sure if my sentence delivers its meaning clearly.

<About its source>
I think the phrase is from 'Linguistics for Non-linguists' (maybe, I'm not sure, I just got an excerpt from the book). The book says the phrase 'eight-page book report' can be interpreted in either ways 'A report of unspecified length on a book that is eight pages long' or 'A report that is eight pages long on a book of unspecified length'.

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    I want to ask you whether the phrase 'a book report that is eight pages long' has the same or similar meaning with 'A report that is eight pages long on a book of unspecified length'.
    That phrase means that the report is eight pages long. The "that..." clause applies to the principal noun, not the modifier.

< Previous | Next >