A book <that> I read, and <which> made an impact

susanna76

Romanian
Hi,

AmE grammar books say that which should be used for non-restrictive clauses
(That vs. Which vs. Who for SAT Prep)
but what about this example:

A book on art that I read in my twenties, and which made an impact on me, was The Shock of the New.

Is the above sentence correct? Can I use both that and which the way I did? And am I right that the word which in that sentence is restrictive? If so, what about the above rule?

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

English - U.S.
    This distinction between "that" and "which" is often recommended by grammars but also often disregarded by native speakers and writers, even very good ones.

Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

English - U.S.
    I think it's fine. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't see anything questionable about it if I encountered it outside of a forum specifically devoted to language issues.

By the way, I would leave, not let, your sentence as is.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It’s hard for me to tell whether the clause set off between the commas is non-restrictive, or a second restrictive clause. The “that” for the first is not preceded by a comma, so it is definitely restrictive. The use of that and which to make the distinction is not reliable:)

Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

English - U.S.
    It’s hard for me to tell whether the clause set off between the commas is non-restrictive, or a second restrictive clause. The “that” for the first is not preceded by a comma, so it is definitely restrictive. The use of that and which to make the distinction is not reliable:)
    I had the same problem. My wife, who is a professional writer, originally thought it was non-restrictive but then decided that she wasn't sure.

< Previous | Next >