A book with both hard copy and soft copy

< Previous | Next >

learningchayse

Chinese
Should I say:
A book with both hard copy and soft copy,
or a book with both hard and soft copy,
or a book with both hard and soft copies?

Much appreciated!

• lingobingo

English - England
    I think you may be misusing “hard copy”. It means a paper version of a text (a printout), rather than a digital one (which can only be read on a computer screen).

The traditional printed book formats are hardback and paperback.

learningchayse

Chinese
    I think you may be misusing “hard copy”. It means a paper version of a text (a printout), rather than a digital one (which can only be read on a computer screen).

The traditional printed book formats are hardback and paperback.
    The written version and the audio version of the same book.
    Am I using the wrong proposition "with" so that it sounds confusing?
    Should it be "in" --- "a book in both hard copy and soft copy"?

Uncle Jack

British English
    I would say that it is available in printed and audio versions.

Hard copy is used for something printed on paper, but it is not usually used for books. A "soft copy" would be an electronic readable version, such as a pdf file, not an audiobook. This isn't used for books either.

learningchayse

Chinese
    I would say that it is available in printed and audio versions.

Hard copy is used for something printed on paper, but it is not usually used for books. A "soft copy" would be an electronic readable version, such as a pdf file, not an audiobook. This isn't used for books either.
    My original sentence is: I had been seeking, as my learning material, a book with both hard and soft copy.

So, instead, could I say, I had been seeking, as my learning material, a book available in both printed and audio versions?

learningchayse

Chinese
    I don't know any meaning for "hard copy" and "soft copy" that are things that can be part of a book.

"Hardback" and "paperback" talk about the outside cover of the book, not the pages or words in the book.
    Thanks for the explanation. I've now learned two new words! :)

Uncle Jack

British English
    My original sentence is: I had been seeking, as my learning material, a book with both hard and soft copy.
    What do you mean by your "learning material"? Audiobooks are usually stories and biographies. I think it would be unusual to find an audio version of a textbook, although I suppose they may exist for the blind. However, it is reasonably common in certain fields (such as learning a foreign language) for a textbook to be accompanied with audio recordings, but this is not an audio version of the book.

learningchayse

Chinese
    What do you mean by your "learning material"? Audiobooks are usually stories and biographies. I think it would be unusual to find an audio version of a textbook, although I suppose they may exist for the blind. However, it is reasonably common in certain fields (such as learning a foreign language) for a textbook to be accompanied with audio recordings, but this is not an audio version of the book.
    Not a textbook. Just a book. Nonfiction narrative.

< Previous | Next >