a booking necessity

2loveIs2remember

Korean
Dear all,

I am wondering if the below are the same in meaning and correct.

It would be appreciated if you could advise a booking necessity.
It would be appreciated if you coud advise whether booking is necessary.

I was trying to find out the noun form of whether booking is necessary.

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    I'd be confused if you used the first version, 2love.

In that particular sentence, "whether booking is necessary" seems much clearer than any noun or noun phrase I can think of.

If you're talking about booking a room in a hotel, then the noun "reservation" would work fine. I'd probably use a short, simple question with the noun "reservation": Do I need to make a reservation? You could also use "reserve" as a verb: Do I need to reserve a room in advance?

Last edited:

Mack&Mack

Korea & Korean
    I'd be confused if you used the first version, 2love.

In that particular sentence, "whether booking is necessary" seems much clearer than any noun or noun phrase I can think of.

If you're talking about booking a room in a hotel, then the noun "reservation" would work fine. I'd probably use a short, simple question with the noun "reservation": Do I need to make a reservation? You could also use "reserve" as a verb: Do I need to reserve a room in advance?
    Thank you Owlman.

Sometimes, a shipment coming in should be booked into the system at my company and my collegues use the term system booking.

I often ask them whether the system booking is required for shipments and it got me questioning becuase when they don't reply, I ask them again and again and while doing it, I didn't want to be repetitive.

Thank you for your help. =)

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks for clearing that up, Mack&Mack. Have you tried expressing the question in another way? Here's a version that should be clear: Do I need to book this shipment into the system? I've personally never used "book" this way, but it should be fine to use it if your colleagues use the term "system booking".

< Previous | Next >