A boom barrier rises up

< Previous | Next >
  • Biffo

    Senior Member
    English - England

    Fot this picture (link2), do you call it as a boom barrier or boom gate in daily conversations?

    Can I say something like "Look, the boom barrier(or boom gate) rises up" ?

    You have shown a barrier in conjunction with a railway (railroad) track. The others have answered specifically in regard to that. Do you want a more general term?

    A (non-rail) example. http://www.unisoncctv.co.uk/car-park-barriers/car-park-barriers/manual-car-park-barriers/

    If so, I would simply say"Look, the barrier is rising!" or "Look, the barrier is going up!"
    < Previous | Next >