A borders with B (on, in or to?) the north

< Previous | Next >

Ryu

Japan and Japanese
Hello!

In this example, "A borders with B ( ) the north," I found people use "on," "in" and "to" as I browsed the Internet. How do you use them?

Do English speaking people use them differently depending on the location of A and B or the nature of A and B?

Example 1: The factory borders with a park (on, in or to) the north.
(In this case the factory means its compound.)

Example 2: The town borders with the X Mountain Chain (on, in or to) the north.

Can we use every preposition? Does each preposition represent the different locational relationship?

Thanks!

• angel_on_fire

English
    Hi

A borders with B to the north seems the most logical sentence e.g. "Lancashire borders with Cumbria to the north"

In the north suggests to me that both A and B are located in the north of the country they are both in e.g. "Newcastle borders with Sunderland in the north of England"

To use on the north, the only example I can think of would be something like "The factory borders with a park on the north side"

Whether they can all be used or not I'm not sure to be honest but if you were to say any of them to an English person they would understand

Ryu

Japan and Japanese
    Thank you, JazzByChas and angel_on_fire.

Isn't the preposition influenced by the distance between A and B? Even if, say, the factory borders a river, which happens to form the boundary of the factory's property, still do you think "to the north" sounds more appropriate than "on the north"?

angel_on_fire

English
    Im not sure if it would be grammatically correct to say on the north in that case but it definitely doesn't sound quite right, I would play it safe and use to the north

Ryu

Japan and Japanese
    Many thanks, angel_on_fire.

"playing it safe" would be effective particularly when I translate Japanese into English or write English for official documentation.

Thank you for your advice.

< Previous | Next >