a borough

piotr1980

Polish
Hello,

Does ''a borough'' have the same meaning as ''a neighbouhood'' or ''a quarter''.

Can we say '' I live in the most dangerous borough of Warsaw?''

Thanks for your help
Piotr

• vachecow

USA English
    In the US a borough is a town that is slightly smaller than a city. A neighborhood is also normally thought of as a group of houses, excluding any businesses. That could be just where I live though.

Lazlow

British English
    In British English, a borough tends to mean a particular zone controlled by a particular branch of local government... for example, in a county there could be several boroughs which could contain a town and a handful of villages, or a few villages and a load of countryside. It's more a geographical area than a particular town/city.

We don't tend to say neighbourhood or quarter, either, so in British English you would most likely say, "I live in the most dangerous district of Warsaw" - or even simply "the most dangerous area".

nath1

english
    Yes It does mean a particular area, I live in the town Loughborough, near the city of Leicester. However, on a postal envelope you would see Loughborough, Leicestershire. So Loughborough is in Leicestershire:( phew!!!! So the suffixe shire highlights that we are in the sourounding area of Leicester. nathan

JamesM

In the US a borough is a town that is slightly smaller than a city. A neighborhood is also normally thought of as a group of houses, excluding any businesses. That could be just where I live though.
    There is another meaning in the U.S., though. The five boroughs in New York City are not separate towns but sections of the city.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Hello,

Does ''a borough'' have the same meaning as ''a neighbouhood'' or ''a quarter''.

Can we say '' I live in the most dangerous borough of Warsaw?''

Thanks for your help
    Piotr
    Hiya Piotr,
    Others have told you how the word is officially understood in certain places.
    Colloquially, however, it can be used to mean a district or neighbourhood - and may not be a strictly geographically defined area.

mplsray

Borough has several different meanings in the US. See the Wikipedia article Borough (United States).

I was surprised to see that it had been used in Minnesota:

"In Minnesota the term borough was applied to one municipality, Belle Plaine, from 1868 to 1974."

piotr1980

Polish
    Thanks to every one,

Actually, I used this expression after reading a New York Times. I forgot to specify it in my post above.
    Your clarifications definitely helped me to better understand what this word means exactly.

Piotr

Nelson Drake

Banned
    England
    It's an administrative district that is a town (as distinct from a city) with a corporation and privileges granted by a royal charter. In the home counties it is pronounced burra. But in London it's pronounced barra, as in a wheelbarra! You kno a fing wotcha wee-ul!

< Previous | Next >