a bottle of wine 'on the go'

minhduc

vietnamese
Hello,
This is a conversation from Wedding Season by Katie Fforde. A girl is visiting her friend.

‘Hello, come in. I've got a bottle of wine on the go. Would you like some?'

‘Oh yes, why not."

Would you please tell me what does "on the go" mean? Thank you very much.

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    The bottle of wine "on the go" is a bottle of wine that is "being used." It's open and she's drinking from it.

As I am an American, I cannot generate any further examples of how this phrase would be used...

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I am not certain, but perhaps the meaning discussed here applies: have something on the go :"to be working on some project."

If so, it would mean that she has a bottle of wine she has been drinking, emptying. It would be a humorous use, treating emptying a bottle of wine as a project someone might undertake.

Added: Cross-posted with lucas-sp.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    As a bonus, there is also another, earlier and related, meaning to "on the go"

A:"I have never seen anyone like him; he is always on the go." = he is always busy doing something - it might be business, a hobby, a sport or a combination of any or all these things.

sound shift

English - England
    I am not certain, but perhaps the meaning discussed here applies: have something on the go :"to be working on some project."

If so, it would mean that she has a bottle of wine she has been drinking, emptying. It would be a humorous use, treating emptying a bottle of wine as a project someone might undertake.
    I could happily say "I've got a bottle of wine on the go". I don't intend it to be humorous; to me it just means "I am in the process of drinking a bottle of wine". My neighbour says it too.

< Previous | Next >