A box landed/stood/lay in the middle of the road?

fatbaby

China Chinese
Hi,
Sorry, I have no context, this question is from my English exercise book.It goes like this:

• The heavy box landed in the middle of the road. A.lay . B.stood. C.dropped. D.stayed
    Find the one from above four choices which is the closest in meaning to the underlined word in the sentence.
    I choose B(stood), because if A(lay) then it needs a preposition ON. I appreciate your opinions.

• fatbaby

China Chinese
    xxAxx, Thanks for your prompt answer.DROPPED seems,in my eyes, to emphasize the movement,I would like to think that LANDED here describes a still situation, an object lying in the road?

Pepperellite

American English (Northeastern USA)
    no, an English speaker sees the movement, the moment it lands. It is "dropped".

xxAxx

English
    Sorry, but landed would be the act of landing, not lying. If you used "the box had landed" it would be closer, but the emphasis would still be on the action.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    "Landed" also emphasises movement, as it implies that the box was dropped. If I were watching the scene described by "the heavy box landed in the middle of the road", I would see the moment that the box, falling from somewhere, comes to rest on the road. This is the same as saying "the plane landed on the runway": the plane is coming from above and making contact with the runway. In a sense, it is dropping onto the runway.

I hope that helps. :)

fatbaby

China Chinese
    Thank you both again.
    Do you think I should use WAS DROPPED ,not DROPPED? to be grammatically correct?
    And, when I was driving later last night, I suddenly found a heavy box ____ in the middle of the road. Then ,still DROPPED? Can I say STOOD or WAS LYING?

fatbaby

China Chinese
    xxAxx, tell me please, what does it mean to you if I use STOOD in the sentence? Does it sound funny to your native speakers' ears? Sorry, I find myself a little stubborn now.

xxAxx

English
    Using stood would not sound funny, but it sounds a little old fashioned to me in this context. I'd be more inclined to use it for a building or a statue. "The box was standing in the middle of the road" would be perfectly acceptable and natural, though probably not my first choice.
    "A box dumped in the middle of the road." as a stand alone sentence would mean "A box took a shit in the middle of the road" "A box had been dumped in the middle of the road" is fine.

Brioche

Australia English
    Hi,
    Sorry, I have no context, this question is from my English exercise book.It goes like this:

• The heavy box landed in the middle of the road. A.lay . B.stood. C.dropped. D.stayed
      Find the one from above four choices which is the closest in meaning to the underlined word in the sentence.
      I choose B(stood), because if A(lay) then it needs a preposition ON. I appreciate your opinions.
    A heavy box lay in the middle of the road is possible.

If the object is tall, then stood is a possibility.
    An old police box stood in the middle of the street. Was it Dr Who's Tardis?

Dropped and stayed are also possible in some contexts.
    The delivery van stopped suddenly. The back door broke open. The heavy box landed in the middle of the road, and the tyres bounced down the hill.

The delivery van stopped suddenly. The door flew open, and the load fell out. The heavy box stayed in the middle of the road, but everything else slid down the hill.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Do you think I should use WAS DROPPED ,not DROPPED? to be grammatically correct?
    The initial sentence, given in your first post, is completely correct with "dropped" or "landed".

You could also say "was dropped", although you couldn't say "was landed". This would change the tense and would emphasise the fact that someone or something did the dropping. The original simply emphasises the drop/the landing.

xxAxx

English
    What if the box had been used as a make-shift dingy by a sailor who landed it on a partially submerged road?

< Previous | Next >