1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

a boy I knew back at home

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Lily974, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Lily974 Senior Member

French
    Hello,

Here is a passage I don't understand. This is the story of a guy coming from England who goes studying in USA.
    I had just visited a boy I knew back at home and whom I had met three weeks ago.

Does "knew back at home" mean that he knew the guy was back at his home or does it mean that he already knew the guy in England before going to US?

2. harrythelm Senior Member

USA English
    "back" fait un tout avec "at home" pas avec "to know"
    "back at home" = chez moi (ville, village, etc.)

3. Lily974 Senior Member

French
    So, he knew the guy before?

4. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
    My try: I had just visited a boy that I had known when I was at home and whom I had seen again three weeks ago.

5. Pierre Simon Senior Member

English
    Hullo Lily :)

Given that this is the story of an Englishman who is studying in the USA, it may be that 'back at home' here means 'back in England'.

6. Lucky19 Senior Member

Brive
    Français de France
    I agree with la grive solitaire :

You can't know someone after having met him three weeks earlier.

He knew him in England and met him again three weeks later (in the USA, according to what the context enables us to deduce).