a boy who goes by the name Peter and (who) faces...

< Previous | Next >

EdisonBhola

Korean
Hi all, the following sentence is written by me and I'm unsure whether it's better or not to leave out the second "who":

This story is about a boy who goes by the name Peter and (who) faces the trials and tribulations of life with courage.

I'm quite sure the second "who" is unnecessary but I think the sentence reads better with it.

May I have your view please? :)

• aceofpace

English (American)
    Not a fan of the structure but to answer your question I agree that it's better with the "who." And I would also add "of" after "name."

lingobingo

English - England
    My view is that it reads much better with the second who, but you need to add “goes by the name of Peter”.

lingobingo

English - England
    Is there a better structure to express the idea? :)
    My suggestion (not so much a change of structure as a slight simplification):

This story is about a boy by the name of Peter, who faces life’s trials and tribulations with courage.
    or: This story is about a boy called Peter, who faces life’s trials and tribulations with courage.

EdisonBhola

Korean
    My suggestion (not so much a change of structure as a slight simplification):

This story is about a boy by the name of Peter, who faces life’s trials and tribulations with courage.
    or: This story is about a boy called Peter, who faces life’s trials and tribulations with courage.
    Thank you! They are much better than mine.

< Previous | Next >