a boy who goes by the name Peter and (who) faces...

EdisonBhola

Korean
Hi all, the following sentence is written by me and I'm unsure whether it's better or not to leave out the second "who":

This story is about a boy who goes by the name Peter and (who) faces the trials and tribulations of life with courage.

I'm quite sure the second "who" is unnecessary but I think the sentence reads better with it.

May I have your view please? :)

• aceofpace

English (American)
    Not a fan of the structure but to answer your question I agree that it's better with the "who." And I would also add "of" after "name."

lingobingo

English - England
    My view is that it reads much better with the second who, but you need to add “goes by the name of Peter”.

lingobingo

English - England
    Is there a better structure to express the idea? :)
    My suggestion (not so much a change of structure as a slight simplification):

This story is about a boy by the name of Peter, who faces life’s trials and tribulations with courage.
    or: This story is about a boy called Peter, who faces life’s trials and tribulations with courage.

EdisonBhola

Korean
    My suggestion (not so much a change of structure as a slight simplification):

This story is about a boy by the name of Peter, who faces life’s trials and tribulations with courage.
    or: This story is about a boy called Peter, who faces life’s trials and tribulations with courage.
    Thank you! They are much better than mine.

< Previous | Next >