a boyfriend would be nice

< Previous | Next >

Masha*

Russia: Russian
Hello :)

Could you please help me to understand the following:

"You mother, aunts, grandmother, and every other woman in your life who has a pulse keeps asking you when the first bundle of joy will appear. You think, "A boyfriend would be nice first."

What does she mean by "a boyfriend would be nice first" in this particular conext? :confused:

Thank you in advance

• gaer

US-English
    Hello :)

Could you please help me to understand the following:

"You Your mother, aunts, grandmother, and every other woman in your life who has a pulse keeps asking you when the first bundle of joy will appear. You think, "A boyfriend would be nice first."

What does she mean by "a boyfriend would be nice first" in this particular conext? :confused:

Thank you in advance
    It means that women are sometimes pressured to find a way to have children at times when they have no boyfriends and therefore no way to HAVE children. :)

Masha*

Russia: Russian
    Thank you very much, gaer!
    But I thought that the question about "a bundle of joy" presupposes the girl being married. Doesn't it?

gaer

US-English
    But I thought that the question about "a bundle of joy" presupposes the girl being married. Doesn't it?
    No.

A "bundle of joy" refers to a baby. Parents, quite obviously, don't need to be married to have one. :)

However, I think the sentence implies that relatives and friends often put pressure on women/girls to get married and have children, and the point is humorous. Obviously there has to be a man/male involved to have one!

Dimcl

Canadian English
    The whole point is that the women in the family are insinuating that you should have a husband. They know that most women have husbands before children and so, instead of pressuring you to meet "some nice young man and settle down", they are making the leap to motherhood. When Grandma says to a single woman "My dear, when are you going to make me a great-grandmother?", she really means "My dear, when are you going to get married and settle down and make me a great-grandmother?".

ewie

English English
    Here's a bit of UK input for you, Masha. I read
    "A boyfriend would be nice first"
    as a humorous and yet at the same time slightly desperate bemoaning of fate:
    I'd be happy to have a baby for you, Mum/Auntie/Granny, but before I get to that stage it would be nice to have even a boyfriend.
    Another way she might have said this in BE is:
    "Chance would be a fine thing"
    i.e. if I had the chance to have a baby, that would be a good start.
    I hope this makes sense.

< Previous | Next >