a bracing look

< Previous | Next >

yuna

Korea/Korean
Hello, everyone!

What is 'a bracing look'?
I saw this expression in an article (The Daily Beast: Most Comments Are Horrible)
Below is the sentence which contains the expression:

"If you want a bracing look at just how infantile Internet comments get, you could do worse than glance at a recent Huffington Post article on Arizona’s immigration law."

:) Thank you in advance!

(I edited the original post to add the quoted sentence.)

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    Please read this post on Source and give us the name of the article and a complete sentence -- plus up to three other sentences if more context will help us understand the situation. A bare link is not enough -- especially if it breaks in the future. Thank you.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It's an unusual use of "bracing" but not, I think, an incorrect one. The usual meaning is "invigorating" or "refreshing" in a physical sense; it's typically used to describe things like a blast of fresh air when a window is opened, or a cold drink on a hot day. You might say it's something of a jolt, something that suddenly "wakes you up". I think the writer in the passage you quote is saying that looking at those comments will be mentally jolting.

Myridon

English - US
    It's an unusual use of "bracing" but not, I think, an incorrect one. The usual meaning is "invigorating" or "refreshing" in a physical sense
    I'm going to say it is probably wrong. "Bracing" things make you feel better, livelier, more positive, better prepared. I have a feeling that looking at the comments on this particular article is going to make you feel worse, depressed, angry, and sad.

yuna

Korea/Korean
    I'm going to say it is probably wrong. "Bracing" things make you feel better, livelier, more positive, better prepared. I have a feeling that looking at the comments on this particular article is going to make you feel worse, depressed, angry, and sad.
    Then maybe in this case, the 'bracing' would be a little bit of sarcasm or irony?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    We can talk about having "a bracing shower" in the morning with cold water to wake us up- it's not so pleasant, more of a shock in fact but it is supposed to be good for us. I think the writer is using the word in that sense.

yuna

Korea/Korean
    A bracing shower! That makes a distinct image of the usage of 'bracing'. Thank you, velisarius!

< Previous | Next >